Purchasing a home is by far the largest and most important financial transaction most of us ever make! Find a REALTOR® you like and work exclusively with them – you will get 100% service if your REALTOR® knows you’re not working with several REALTOR®'s at once. You and your REALTOR® should work together as a team.
Look for the following qualities when choosing a REALTOR®:
- Trustworthy, honest, and ethical.
- Understands your individual real estate needs and requirements and is able to clearly articulate them.
- Excellent knowledge of the local market and ability to recommend specific areas of the region that meet your needs.
- Solid negotiating and closing skills, clearly demonstrated by professional record.
- General and specific product knowledge about a wide range of properties.
Once you’ve decided to work with a REALTOR®, remember the following:
- If you’re interested in a new home in a brand-new development, have your REALTOR® arrange an introduction to the salesperson at the show home - often, there is a registration process in place.
- Feel free to view Open Houses. You have no obligation to the REALTOR® holding the Open House. If you like the home and wish to make an offer, contact your own REALTOR® immediately and make the offer through him.
View “For-Sale-By-Owner” listings with your REALTOR® – he/she may be able to point out deficiencies or problems that the owner may steer you away from.